Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Birthday



Underneath that fire is my birthday cake. I'm 47 today. Good God.

When I was 7, I thought that 47 was ancient. Anyone who was 47 wore thick glasses, was covered with liver spots, and required a walker just to get down the hall to the toilet. But most of the time, I didn't think about being 47. I preferred to think about Christmas, the tooth fairy, cooties, and Barbies.

At 21, I thought that 47 was pretty damn old. I thought that if there was anything I wanted to do with my life, I had better accomplish it before I was 45. I assumed life was all downhill from 21. Of course, at 21 I had huge hair; wore acid washed, pleated jeans that came up to my boobs, thought playing "quarters" was the heighth of fun and sophistication, and spent all my money on beer and posters.

So, here I am at 47. I still haven't figured out what to do with my life. My 19-year-old nieces have been smarter than I am for the past 6 years. My daughter stopped counting my gray hairs a couple of years ago. I'm starting to act like my mother.

What's next for me (aside from yet another birthday)? I feel like I'm in one of those old western movies -- plodding down the road, canteen empty, horizon empty, heat coming in waves off the desert sand (menopause?), buzzards circling.

Jeez. What is 48 going to look like? Will the buzzards have landed?

Hopefully I will be happier tomorrow once I've got a birthday dinner (and wine) under my belt.

Feel free to send uplifting greetings.

3 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Screw the number its only good for calender sales.
    Drink much wine, laugh with yer bairns, try on the old acid wash jeans, shoot the buzzards.
    good luck....

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday dear kim...HAPPY FFFING BIRTHDAY YOU WONDERFUL WOMAN
    and no...48 does not look as bad as you think. i will be 49 in 2 months and my goal is to just forget that day. it means nothing as does age (unless of course you are a fossil...say 50)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeay! Happy birthday! Mine is next Saturday.

    I remember when I first felt old too. I was 21.

    ReplyDelete