Monday, June 28, 2010

Blame it on the Weather

photo by John kerstholtsm

For as long as I can remember, my mother has blamed things on the weather. Things that have little or nothing to do with the weather.

All kinds of medical issues are blamed on weather. I'm not sure whether they are humidity or temperature related. I'm pretty sure that things such as ankle swelling and arthritis can be affected by weather, but some other things, well, I'm not so sure.

According to my mother, the following can result from weather:

colds
flu
coughing
sneezing
cold sores
rashes
bumps
blisters
headaches
nausea
hemorrhoids (implied, but not discussed)
forgetfulness
irritability (no doubt)
indigestion
acid reflux
diarrhea (implied, but not discussed)
cramps
poor circulation
dizziness
birth
murder
death

This morning, we are having our usual 8:30 check-in. She tells me what's going on down in Virginia. I say uh-huh a lot. Just like she did decades ago when talking to her mother. She has moved into the modern age just a tad -- she was using her cell phone. Every damn day, her cell phone cuts off. I try to call her back. Busy. I try again. Busy. I wait. Nothing. I try again. Busy. I wait. Finally she calls back. This usually happens again. Conversation. Uh-huh. Click. Silence. Today . . . conversation . . . uh-huh . . . click . . . silence.

She calls back. I tell her that I don't think it was my fault. She says, "Must be the weather."

I'm going to get on her weather bandwagon. I have lots of blame to lay.

4 comments:

  1. I usually blame this nasty Virginia summer weather for my laziness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's right.
    *And* I think the weather causes the rain too....but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would drive me nuts! But then, that could be considered a medical condition, couldn't it ? (lol)

    ReplyDelete